Project Mobilization of rural communities in caring for their environment is funded by the 2016 Democracy commission small grants of US Embassy in Montenegro.
The goal of this action is to establish models for sustainable management of waste in rural areas.
The problems that this project intends to tackle are:
1. Low inclusion of rural communities in regular waste collection by communal companies
2. Low level of knowledge among rural population on sustainable practices regarding waste, such as composting of organic waste
3. Low awareness of ‘tourism’ communities on how each household contributes to the overall looks of their village and has a role in keeping the village clean and attractive.
Expected results are:
1. At least three villages have functional models for sustainable management of waste
2. At least 10 households implement composting of waste
3. At least 100 households have increased capacities for waste management.
The target groups the project will aim to reach out to are:
Local population in 3 rural communities in Gusinje (village Vusanje), Andrijevica (village Konjuhe) and Berane (village Lubnice), Schools and NGOs in targeted rural communities,
Rural women, as key actors in providing tourism services.